Re: Packaging a library that requires cross-compiled code

On Mon, Oct 01, 2007 at 08:09:59PM -0500, Peter Samuelson wrote:
> Until Debian as a whole can agree that it is important to be
> self-hosting, and to be confident enough in our autotools maintainers
> to trust their packages for automated builds, I don't think you should
> ask David to build a whole cross compiler.  After all, that's not only
> a _lot_ more complex to maintain, but more build-resources-expensive.

When normal practice for upstreams is to not ship any auto-generated
files, and normal practice for users wishing to compile their own
programs is to have autotools installed, then I might agree with you.
Until then, I think that treating .ac files as if they're .c files is a
canard.