Re: Using standardized SI prefixes

On Tue, 19 Jun 2007, Eduard Bloch wrote:
> #include <hallo.h>
> * Ivan Jager [Tue, Jun 19 2007, 03:22:10AM]:

<snipped>
>>> Sure, but it makes it possible to make it _right_ in a good portion of
>>> situations. The people who really need binary units can make clear what
>>> they are doing there. Otherwise they would deliberately create
>>> confusion. You like to be among them? You like chaos and cheating?
>>
>> No, I like to avoid chaos and confusion. I do not currently have problems
>> telling the size of a file, and adding an extra column of "i"s to the
>> output of most programs isn't going to accomplish more than cause
>> confusion for me when I use a program that doesn't waste the extra space
>> to tell me, "Oh, by the way, I'm doing the sensical thing."
>
> Really? You need additional knowledge to interpret the program output
> and you call this less confusing? I doubt that.

Yes. I don't like computers that are designed for people who don't know
anything. I find such beasts confusing and obnoxious.

Resp. Sir,
    It is precisely for people who don't know anything that comps. do sell,
components sell & you have cheap prices. Again who decides who knows
anything or nothing at all? I'm sure it'll be pretty thin list if we
go by that.
Also is there something in the debian manifesto which says that people
is only for people who do computer science only?

<snipped>

> But they ARE broken. Have been for years. If you make a simple analogy
> from that statement to other dings then you need to declare much more
> people as stupid Don Quixotes, like those who work on LFS (you know,
> 2GiB is ought to be enough for everyone), or on IPv6, or on Unicode,
> etc.etc.

I seem to be failing to folow your logic again... Anyways, you know we've
all switched to IPv6 already, right? We no longer need 6bone because all
our ISPs give us IPv6 addresss already. See http://www.6bone.net/ if you
don't believe me. Grr.

I don't know whether that last sentence was mentioned in seriousness
or in jest.
We in India, are on ipv4 still & the transition is going to take
another couple of years till one of the big ISP's does the change. I
know this for a fact as there were press releases made by BSNL (Indian
ISP)  to that effect.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_broadband_users

But does it mean that we are against IPv6, no all we all want is it
should be pretty easy so that ipv4 can work & its documented how it is
to be done. If similarly, there was an alternative solution for the
same in the KB/KiB thing it would make easier for me as a user to
decide.

>>> Like in kidigram and medameter? What comes next, midroutopicans?
>>
>> Yes, my intention was to make a silly set of prefixes whose only purpose
>
> Doesn't look so for me. It looks more like a bad attempt to miscredit
> brave people.

Yes, all those brave people who risked their lives to, uhh, very bravely
do, uhh, something, umm, what people am I trying to miscredit? I think
maybe I need to figure this out before I can figure out what brave things
they were doing. Oh, or was I trying to miscredit all brave people?

I'm sorry, but I don't think I was trying to miscredit anyone. I simply
don't want people fixing a part of my system that works exactly how I want
it, just because it is confusing to non computer people.

There you go again, who are non-computer people. I would surely be
interested to known your definition of "non-computer people" & how
they should be discriminated against, atleast that is what appears to
me.

Ivan

Ivan Jager <aij+nospam@andrew.cmu.edu> writes:

--
         Shirish Agarwal

065C 6D79 A68C E7EA 52B3  8D70 950D 53FB 729A 8B17