Re: Two proposals for a better Lenny (testing related).

Qui, 2007-06-14 às 01:04 +0200, Emanuele Rocca escreveu:
> * Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org>, [2007-06-11 19:56 -0400]:
> >  Testing also needs periodic snapshots and guaranteed upgradability to
> >  be useable by more users, amoung other points I discuss at
> >  http://kitenet.net/~joey/code/debian/cut/
>
> "Snapshots should be made available regularly, so that users who need a
>  firm foundation for deployment have one. They'd be numbered, so we could
>  call them cut 4, cut 5, etc. Each would be a snapshot of testing at a
>  point when it was in especially good shape."
>
> Another option could be calling each snapshot cut YYYY-MM, or cut
> YYYY-MM-DD if we plan to release them more than once per month.

this makes the snapshots just like the current ones (i think cd sets are
built weekly r monthly, can anyone confirm this?)

> I realize that 'freezing' testing when it is in good shape we adhere to
> the "when it's ready" philosophy, but can you think of a rough estimate
> about how often it could happen?

think about transitions .. let's get etch release cycle example.

i think 2 or 3 snapshots would be good.

(not time ordered)
1. transition to xorg
2. new gnome version
3. new kde version
4. new gcc version

these are quite predictable, and i think the main objective is not FULL
stability, but to have a work base.
So, if we predict that in the next month a big transition will be made,
then, a snapshot will be made with the transition objectives.

When they are accomplished, debian would ship a snapshot.
By scheduling the snapshot, other maintainers can upload their new
packages that will be included in the snapshot.

remind you that if packages only pass to testing *ready for stable*
(more or less) any snapshot would be quite stable and usable (+/- like
an ubuntu release - this was a bad joke).
Having this *release* would make people to use more debian.
Of course the system would be continuously updated.

> ciao,
>     ema

best regards,
Luis Matos