Re: Two proposals for a better Lenny (testing related).

Luis Matos <gass@otiliamatos.ath.cx> writes:
> Qua, 2007-06-13 às 15:00 -0700, Russ Allbery escreveu:

>> My recommendation is to always use module-assistant for all non-free
>> drivers that you want to use.  That way, if there is a build in
>> non-free, you can be pleasantly surprised, but your normal method will
>> always work.

> i don't think that this is useful in a debian way. That is equal to tell
> the maintainer to stop his work.

I think this is a ridiculous exaggeration.  module-assistant is not
difficult to use.  Installing the correct kernel modules for your kernel
is a one-line command.

> i want to tell a couple of things:
>  1. My critic goes for the automatic passage of packages that make other
> packages (already available in testing) uninstallable or conflictive. In
> these 2 sets are packages that have reverse depends and, for example,
> the kernel.
>  2. You, like other, confirm this situation, but for some reason, you
> just don't explicit agree with it.

For non-free, this is inevitable without significant changes to the way
that Debian works that I don't believe will happen.  Debian has provided a
different solution in the form of module-assistant that in my experience
works great.  I recommend that you learn how to use it rather than tilting
at windmills.