Re: Two proposals for a better Lenny (testing related).

On Wed, Jun 13, 2007 at 11:28:52AM +0100, Luis Matos wrote:
> > > The current system is fine but:
> > >  - priority from unstable should less than testing or stable ( as i
> > > think - not for sure - happens nowadays). On experimental has less
> > > priority.
> > >  - There are no guaranties that testing is always working and stable.
> > >  - there are no guaranties that testing is secure (please security team,
> > > can you clarify this?)

> > You won't find a contractual guarantee from Debian about either of these
> > things, for *any* of the Debian suites.

> look ... i don't want guaranties ... you know what i mean ... want a
> place where it says "testing HAS security support, we focus on having it
> stable. I don't want  written contract ... i want a desktop user to
> discard stable and use testing. For that debian needs do publicly advice
> the use of testing in these cases ... and i mean for real.

You are never going to get a statement from the Debian project telling users
to use one suite or another (or at least, you shouldn't); the most we should
be doing is giving users a list of pros and cons for each suite and letting
them decide which fits their needs.  I'm all in favor of reducing the number
of decisions users have to make *in the software* :), but on something as
high-level as which distro/suite to use, misestimating a user's needs is the
kind of thing that will sour the user on Debian for a very long time.

> > There is a testing security team that addresses unembargoed security issues
> > in testing.  Fixes for embargoed security issues are generally not prepared
> > in advance for testing.  However, more people have access to work on the
> > unembargoed security issues anyway (in the general case: anyone can upload
> > to t-p-u), so it's not definite that stable is always more secure than
> > testing.

> So, maybe, have more strict upload rules? Or, on the other way,
> maintainers can upload packages directly into testing (from t-p-u?).

More strict upload rules for what?

> > >  - Testing simply moves too fast and the automatically passage process
> > > between unstble and testing *DOES* break testing. For one example,
> > > package "foo" requires package "bar<=0.3" but package "bar 0.4"
> > > automatically passes to testing.

> > Um, no.  That does not happen automatically.  In rare cases it happens
> > because the release team has overridden the installability check for a
> > package, because maintainers have not coordinated their transitions in
> > unstable and as a result something needs to be broken to ever get any of the
> > packages updated because you can't get 300 maintainers to get their packages
> > in a releasable state *and* leave them alone long enough to transition to
> > testing as a group.

> So please, don't do those "oh, let them pass" transitions ... they BREAK
> stuff ... for real.

What?

> > That's a problem of the packaging of those kernel modules, then, not a
> > problem of testing per se; even if you track stable and therefore the
> > problem only affects you once every two years, it's still a problem that
> > should be addressed -- e.g., with metapackages like nvidia-kernel-2.6-686
> > (oh look, this one already exists).

> kernel upgrades from 2.6.50 to 2.6.51 ... nvidia packages don't build in
> time (they are not free, right?) ... kernel passes to testing ...

That doesn't happen.

> this is a simple upgrade ... because kernel packages are always NEW, the
> kernel will pass because it has no reverse dependency problems in
> testing.

False.