Re: Using standardized SI prefixes

Bastian Venthur <venthur@debian.org> writes:
> I agree with the "sounds stupid" part, although I don't belive this is a
> valid argument. What I don't believe is your 80 colums argument. Could
> you please name a few of the *many* programs which would have to drop
> information, precision, or significantly change their display to use the
> "KiB" unit?

E.g. all of the "top"-type programs, which display stuff in colums like
memory sizes etc, and are _extremely_ starved for space.  It would be
ludicrous to change the memory size displays in such programs from
"224K" to "224KiB" just to give some obsessive-compulsive types a warm
fuzzy.

> On the other hand, we have the chance to avoid user confusion

No one is actually confused.

This "standard" doesn't actually solve a real problem.

-Miles

--
"Whatever you do will be insignificant, but it is very important that
 you do it."  Mahatma Gandhi