Re: On management

On Wed, Feb 28, 2007 at 10:31:37AM -0500, Clint Adams wrote:
> > I would think that the same things that attract a technical individual
> > could attract a non-technical individual.  Desire to learn.  Desire to
> > contribute.  Desire to build skills for resume or future employment.
> > And so on.  The thing is that the current NM process is heavily biased
> > toward technical people/programmers/developers/etc.  That is probably a
> > discouragement to people who are more management oriented.
>
> I'm not sure what you're advocating, but in my experience, project
> managers without the capacity to understand the technical issues of the
> project that they are supposed to be managing are worse than useless.

I am not advocating having a manager without technical competency or the
ability to understand technical issues.  Just that being a manager does
not require being a fourth-degree blackbelt in Perl or having written a
textbook on C++ programming.  The point is that there are people who
understand the technical issues but are much more adept managers.  All I
am saying is that the current NM process (I am just at the tail end of
it now) is heavily biased toward those with a strong interest in
programming, system administration, and so on.  I know that some people
become DDs to work on documentation (a very important and thankless
job), but they are by far the exception and not the rule.

Regards,

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez