Re: On management

On Wed, Feb 28, 2007 at 02:58:12PM +0100, Josselin Mouette wrote:

> Management is quite a different job that what most of us are doing. In
> the real world, a good manager is as rare a resource as a good engineer,
> and you need both to make a business running. The Debian project is
> currently good at attracting technically excellent people, but we also
> need a few people with management skills, and currently I fail to see
> what could bring them to work for the project.

I would think that the same things that attract a technical individual
could attract a non-technical individual.  Desire to learn.  Desire to
contribute.  Desire to build skills for resume or future employment.
And so on.  The thing is that the current NM process is heavily biased
toward technical people/programmers/developers/etc.  That is probably a
discouragement to people who are more management oriented.

Add to that the fact that the people in leadership and management roles
in Debian now started out as developers and moved up.  Someone with
management might look and think "I have the management skill, but I
can't cut it in a technical role for three or four or whatever years to
get that far in the project."

I am not criticizing the current arrangement, I just think that if it is
to become a goal to attract more skilled management-types, we need to
create a sort of management track for new contributors.

Regards,

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez