Re: Plug applications into browsers

On Wed, Feb 21, 2007 at 11:11:02AM +0000, Howard Young wrote:
> Hello
>
> I had wanted to use MSYS to develop for the other platform. Most of my
> experience is with WIN32 API, ATL3/COM+ and DirectX on the other platform.
>
> Ron Johnson wrote:
> >Huh?  ActiveX is woven deeply into, and relies upon the Win32 API.
> >
> Yes.
>
> 1 I want to develop on Linux only. Writing:
> a) An Active X for Windows

which makes development time go down a little, because you can write
'native' applications

> b) Linux equivalent

Which doubles development time, since you have to do the same thing over
again

> c) MacOS equivalent through QT

Triples

> d) Java applet (for all)

Quadruples. Then again, you can just stick to Java and keep it at that.

If you want to write a plugin, however (as opposed to an applet that is
shown on a page), then you could indeed use the netscape plugin API
(which is supported by almost every browser for the Linux platform). You
should probably ask the mozilla people about that, though.

  -- #debian-devel, Freenode, 2004-09-22