Plug applications into browsers

Has anyone ever tried writing an ActiveX on Linux to use with IE.
...Has anyone ever tried writing a program that will work as a plug-in on Linux (to work in as many browsers as possible). I know Java is a possible candidate for various things but I would rather have some sort of alternative when my Java programs are not an option for the client.

If there is any information on discussion about this (except for lengthy discussions just talking over how insecure IE ActiveX are) then I would be interested to know. I will otherwise be looking into documentation for each browser and how to write plug-in individually.

H. Young