Re: If I play piano while my computer starts up, /dev/dsp disappears !

#include <hallo.h>
* Wouter Verhelst [Fri, Jan 26 2007, 02:15:35PM]:
> Package: udev
> Severity: normal
>
> On Sun, Jan 21, 2007 at 06:02:10PM -0500, Dumitrescu, Eduard wrote:
> >     My computer is connected to my piano through a usb-midi cable. If
> > I use my piano while the computer starts up, whether /dev/dsp is
> > renamed to /dev/dsp1,
>
> Is that a problem? If so, how? Software that uses your MIDI-interface
> should just work with dsp1, too.

Looks like the same design problem I complained in the past with having
/dev/cdrw1+ while /dev/cdrw is missing. And I still think that this idea
of linking ONLY /dev/functionality0 to /dev/functionality is stupid if
the enumeration is not created based on the list of capable devices but
just by getting the numbers from the set of related devices (any CD
reader, or any alsa-device, etc.).

/dev/foo should better be linked to /dev/fooN (N==lowest possible number).

Eduard.