Re: Bugs in default GNOME etch?

Le mardi 16 janvier 2007 à 02:46 +0100, Luca Capello a écrit :
>    Is there a practical reason for requesting xpm icons?  No need to
>    explain if an answer already exists, but I cannot find it.

This is because some menu systems don't understand other formats.

> 4) evince doesn't appear by default on the GNOME Applications list (it
>    happened on three different installations).  Maybe it's not the
>    only one, but I cannot find any others.

IIRC this is intentional, as evince is a viewer that should only invoked
from programs that have something to view (nautilus, epiphany,
evolution...)

> 6) gnome-panel gives an .xsession-errors because "Unable to open
>    desktop file epiphany.desktop for panel launcher".  This is normal
>    as epiphany isn't installed by default, but I'd suggest to install
>    the firefox.desktop instead.

Epiphany is not installed by default? If this is the case, I consider it
a very important bug in debian-installer.

Looking at the gnome-desktop task, it installs gnome-desktop-environment
and firefox-gnome-support. Besides, gnome-desktop-environment depends on
epiphany-browser | gnome-www-browser, the latter being provided by
firefox-gnome-support. In this case, I don't know what aptitude does,
but if epiphany doesn't get installed in the end this is *wrong*. The
GNOME desktop as a whole is configured to use epiphany, which has decent
desktop integration, which firefox/iceweasel has not.

Can anyone in debian-boot confirm that the aptitude behaviour leads to
epiphany not being installed? If this the case, what solution would you
suggest? (The obvious solution of not installing the ugly
firefox/iceweasel and confusing users with two browsers having been
repeatedly refused by the d-i team.)

> 7) why still Gnomemeeting by default instead of Ekiga (which AFAIK is
>    the default VoIP client since GNOME 2.14)?

This should be fixed in meta-gnome2 1:2.14.3.5.

--
 .''`.