Re: RFC: behaviour of "bts show" command with new BTS default behaviour

On Mon, 13 Nov 2006, Kurt Roeckx wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 12, 2006 at 03:50:46AM -0800, Don Armstrong wrote:
> > On Sun, 12 Nov 2006, Kurt Roeckx wrote:
> > > When using "bts show package" or going to
> > > "http://bugs.debian.org/package"; we get that behaviour, and I find
> > > both of them annoying.
> >
> > I switched the default to appending dist=untable because it actually
> > tells you which bugs affect unstable; it's far more informative than
> > merely categorizing based on whether a bug has been closed. If you
> > know you want something else, you really should be using the precise
> > url that you want.
>
> So, the default is basicly for the maintainer of the package, so
> they can see what bugs they need to fix in unstable?

Or for anyone else looking at unstable, so you can see what bugs
affect unstable. Otherwise, the categorization is done based on
whether a message has been sent to -done or not, and tells you nothing
about whether the bug is actually fixed in any version that is
actually distributed.

Moreover, it also means that you see bugs as unfixed which do not
affect the current version of the package (for example, those bugs
which only affect stable which the unstable package is not a decendant
of. [See #373930 for an example;
http://bugs.donarmstrong.com/cgi-bin/version.cgi?package=libc6;found=glibc%2F2.3.2.ds1-22sarge3;ignore_boring=0
if you don't see imediately why unstable isn't affected.]

> Users on the other hand might be more interested in the bugs
> affecting stable (or testing). It seems more logical to just lists
> all bugs for them.

All of the bugs are listed; this merely changes the categories that
they are placed in. [And I submit that users who care what bugs affect
stable and/or testing should be using complete urls to pkgreport.cgi
instead of the 'leet urls.]

Don Armstrong

--
Of course Pacman didn't influence us as kids. If it did, we'd be
running around in darkened rooms, popping pills and listening to