Re: How can the OS autodetect that a user is a newbie and offer help?

2006/10/17, Javier Fernández-Sanguino Peña <jfs@computer.org> wrote:
On Tue, Oct 17, 2006 at 01:02:45PM +0000, Jason Spiro wrote:
I remember back in 2000 providing a Debian package called 'ayuda' ('help', in
Spanish) developed by members of my local IEEE Student Branch.  This package
included just a simple shell script ('ayuda') and a number of text files.
When the script was called it would show up a dialog(1) menu a user could
navigate and use to access the manuals included. Manuals were ordered in
'user', 'admin' and 'programming' topics. The 'user' topic would tell him how
to use shell commands, read e-mail, use a text editor (Joe, Vi or Emacs), and
configure his environment.

I found out today: There is a similar utility for Slackware called
slackhelp at http://freshmeat.net/redir/slackhelp/57881/url_homepage/slackhelp.
It is ncurses-based and it is in Portugese only. If you want to try
it, untar the Slackware .tgz package file to /tmp then look in
/tmp/usr/bin and /tmp/usr/doc.

From the Freshmeat description:

Slackhelp is software made in dialog to help users with problems on
diverse subjects in the universe of the Slackware system, supplying an
interactive and objective menu as a form of access to the tutorial
ones. All the tutorials contained have been taken from the proper
Slacklife.com.br page, and the tutorials considered of greater
importance have been selected and classified. These tutorials range
from initial commands for laypeople in Linux to texts for more
advanced users, including assembly of servers, all written in simple
language and easy to use.

--
Jason Spiro: computer consulting with a smile.
I also provide training and spyware removal services for homes and businesses.