Re: Is there a need for /usr/lib64/ on a pure i386?

Stanislav Maslovski <stanislav.maslovski@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello d-dev,
>
> I noticed yesterday that after an upgrade I got a /usr/lib64 dir
> with some (not neded) stuff in it. I am not running any 64 bit arch.
>
> $ dpkg -S /usr/lib64 # says:
> libg2c0-dev, fakeroot, libgfortran1-dev: /usr/lib64
>
> I have found that there is a bug [1] on fakeroot reporting the same.
>
> The question is: will it become a common practice that packages for i386
> will include 64-bit libraries? After reading the reply of Clint Adams on [1]
> I have got such an impression. Please correct me if I am wrong.
>
> [1] http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=344104

If you have a 64bit cpu and are running a 64bit kernel then you can
run 64bit software on your system. If you combine this with using
fakeroot you suddenly need a 64bit libfakeroot.

The other case is compiling 64bit software. Even if you only have a
32bit system you can still build 64bit programms for use somewhere
else.

Usually 32bit and 64bit libraries are split up like libc6 and
libc6-amd64. In the case of fakeroot we are talking about 64KiB. That
certainly isn't enough to be split into a seperate package.

It looks like -dev packages aren't split between 32bit and 64bit. That
might be good or bad. But please leave fakeroot out of it. That
package is perfectly fine as is.

MfG
        Goswin

PS: IIRC you even need a 64bit libfakeroot for dpkg-shlibs to work on
any 64bit library when building 32/64bit debs like glibc, gcc, ...