Re: A plan to get rid of unnecessary package dependencies

Christian Aichinger <Greek0@gmx.net> writes:

> As a start, I've written a script that searches for unnecessary
> dependencies and reports them. Results are available here:
> http://rerun.lefant.net/checklib

> A "problem" means that the package has useless dependencies on
> library packages. This causes the kind of trouble outlined above and
> should be fixed. A HOWTO is here:
> http://rerun.lefant.net/checklib/howto-fix-problems.html

Hey.  If we have a programmatic way of detecting this cases, why not
just fold that into the shlibdeps program, and be done with it?

As it happens, your script missed gnucash, which has this problem in
spades, and can't just use the Debian libtool, because gnucash's build
system actually *depends* on the documented behavior of libtool, and
breaks with the Debian one.

Thomas