Re: Install packages automatically based on the detected hardware

On Fri, 01 Sep 2006, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> Would you like to have gtkpod installed automatically if an ipod is in
> the machine?  Or 915resolution if your video card is supported by it?
> Or perhaps mpt-status if your RAID controller uses the mptscshih
> kernel module?  Until yesterday, this was not possible in Debian.  Now
> it is.

Yay! That's a great feature. Thank you for coding it.

> But for this to be useful, a database of hardware->package mappings
> need to be updated.  At the moment a few entries are listed in the
> discover-data package, but I am sure more of them.  If you know some
> debian packages that is useful or required to use a specific piece of
> hardware, please report a wishlist bug against discover-data
> specifying the hardware id (PCI, USB, SBus, etc.) and the package
> name.  I am mostly interested in packages in main, but also packages
> in contrib and non-free are interesting.

Ideally, we should rely on our users to send us suggestions here. But for
that we need to write down a wiki explaining how to get the required
information (lsusb, lspci, etc.).

Of course, this need to advertised to a wider audience than -devel.
-devel-announce seems a good option.

> I hope to have this feature integrated into debian-installer before
> etch, so useful hardware related packages can be installed
> automatically on request.

I look forward to that!

Cheers,
--