Re: Problem sending to Alioth lists?

On Mon, Aug 28, 2006 at 08:59:21AM +0200, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> On Sun, 27 Aug 2006, Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
> > accessible mail server.  The point is that I only experience this
> > problem with Alioth and SourceForge lists, where they use braindead call
> > back mechanism to try and reach the host that originated the message.
>
> I'm an Alioth administrator. If you expect help from us, you'd better not
> say that our configuration is "braindead". This is the most basic thing
> that we can do to avoid spam.

No offense intended ;-)

Out of curiousity, if this is such a good thing why are Alioth and
SourceForge the only two services (of the dozens of mailing lists from
half dozen or more services) which use this setup?  Also, why is the
error message returned by the mail server not more clear?

> > Since I am using mutt and I simply have postfix set to use a smarthost,
> > which does have a publicly accesible postfix running.
>
> Other solution to fix your problem with postfix (instead of mutt) is to
> configure address rewriting (/etc/postfix/main.cf):
> # ADDRESS REWRITING
> #
> # The ADDRESS_REWRITING_README document gives information about
> # address masquerading or other forms of address rewriting including
> # username->Firstname.Lastname mapping.
>
> sender_canonical_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/canonical
>
> And then put this in /etc/postfix/canonical:
> <yourlogin> <your real email address>
>
> And then generate the corresponding DB: sudo postmap /etc/postfix/canonical

No offense, but that is completely non-scalable.  That only works for a
small number of users which does not change frequently.  Anyhow, thanks
to 'Dato, I seem to have been able to convince mutt to play nicer with
your mail server.

Thanks for taking the time answer my question, though.

Regards,

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez