Update: status of inetd

Hi folks,

Following the last thread on the subject, several things have
happened:

1) All packages depending on netkit-inetd have had their dependencies
   replaced with a netkit dependency.
2) netkit now only depends upon openbsd-inetd, so netkit-inetd is now
   no longer used by either new installs or upgrades from sarge.
3) netkit-inetd (netkit-base) is now ready for removal from unstable
   (see #383960).

I'd like to propose the following as the next step.  I was going to
leave this until after etch, but further consideration made me realise
it needs doing before, otherwise etch->etch+1 upgrades will break (or
it will have to wait until etch+2, and that's too long).

What I'd like to propose is this:

1) Split out update-inetd from netbase into a new "inetd" package.
   See
      http://people.debian.org/~rleigh/inetd_1.tar.gz
      http://people.debian.org/~rleigh/inetd_1.dsc
   as an example of what I'd like to do (Md should probably be the
   maintainer here, since it is derived from netbase).  This
   - provides a single package for all update-inetd-using packages to
     depend upon
   - provides a default inetd dependency, so all packages wanting an
     inetd just need to depend on it, rather than hardcoding the
     default inetd in every package.
   - inetd-providing packages need to Provide internet-super-server
   - it doesn't depend on netbase, to prevent a circular dependency,
     but will post-etch.

2) netkit needs to drop the files moved into the inetd package above,
   and Depend on inetd.  This will
   - ensure update-inetd is present by default so sarge->etch upgrades
     will work.
   - can be dropped post-etch.

3) All update-inetd users need to depend on inetd instead of/in
   addition to netbase.  The complete list is:

   afbackup
   amanda-client
   amanda-server
   apt-proxy
   asp
   atftpd
   bidentd
   biff
   binkd
   bitlbee
   bootp
   bozohttpd
   cfingerd
   csync2
   cupsys-bsd
   cvs
   cyrus-imapd
   cyrus-pop3d
   dbskkd-cdb
   dhcp
   efingerd
   exim
   fakepop
   fam
   ffingerd
   fingerd
   firebird2-classic-server
   fspd
   ftpd
   ftpd-ssl
   gidentd
   gnats
   gtalk
   gwhois
   heimdal-kdc
   heimdal-servers
   heimdal-servers-x
   hotway
   ident2
   ifcico
   ipopd
   isdnvboxserver
   kerberos4kth-servers
   kerberos4kth-servers-x
   kftgtd
   krb5-ftpd
   krb5-kdc
   krb5-rsh-server
   krb5-telnetd
   ktalkd
   leafnode
   ltsp-server
   lukemftpd
   mailutils-comsatd
   mailutils-imap4d
   mailutils-pop3d
   masqmail
   micro-httpd
   midentd
   mooix
   ndtpd
   netkit-inetd
   nntp
   node
   noffle
   nsca
   nullidentd
   oftpd
   oidentd
   openbsd-inetd
   p10cfgd
   pawserv
   pidentd
   popa3d
   poppassd
   postfix
   proftpd
   proftpd-common
   pure-ftpd-common
   qpopper
   qpopper-drac
   remctl-server
   remstats-servers
   rlinetd
   rsh-redone-server
   rsh-server
   rstatd
   rusersd
   rwalld
   samba
   sendfile
   sendmail-base
   sidentd
   skksearch
   slidentd
   smail
   smtpd
   sn
   solid-pop3d
   sslwrap
   statd
   swat
   talkd
   teapop
   teapop-ldap
   teapop-mysql
   teapop-pgsql
   telnetd
   telnetd-ssl
   tftpd
   tftpd-hpa
   uucp
   uw-imapd
   vsftpd
   wipl-client-inetd
   wu-ftpd
   xfingerd
   xtel
   xtell
   zmailer

Once steps 1 and 2 above are compete, I'd like to mass-file bugs
against all these packages, and then if neccessary NMU the dependency
change a few weeks later, so we can ensure everything is fixed before
etch is released.

Any comments?

Regards,
Roger