Re: Ifupdown 'extra' package with network ({pre,post}) testing scripts

On Wed, Aug 16, 2006 at 02:36:52PM +0200, Emanuele Rocca wrote:
> Hello Javier,

Hi there.

> >  This package provides additional scripts for ifupdown to test for some common
> >  problems when setting up interfaces:
> >
> >  - interfaces without a link  (admin can have that condition abort interface
> >    setup if he wants the behaviour described in #120382)
>
> Very nice.
> The test could be added to ping-places.sh (provided by ifupdown as an
> example), otherwise mapping stanzas using it to choose a logical
> interface will try to ping addresses using an interface which may be
> down.

Could do.

> What about putting the code which checks the link status in a separate
> script, so that it can be used elsewhere?

It's pretty standalone right now. You just have to run it as root as this:

# IFACE=eth0 /etc/network/if-pre-up.d/check-network-cable

The meat is, however, in the check_status() functions so they could move
elsewhere and create a script that used $1 instead.

> >   This package also provides 'network-test', a script to test the network
> >   configuration status by checking:
> >     - Interface status
>
> This feature is not working properly here.

Yep, sorry, the network-cable test in that one is still flacky, it should
reuse the code in the 'check-network-cable' script (i.e. use 'ip link show'
and look for NO-CARRIER, or use mii-tool or ethtool). I've fixed and made
available a new version up at people.debian.org (package version 0.2 now)

Regard

Javier