Re: Ifupdown 'extra' package with network ({pre,post}) testing scripts

Hello Javier,

* Javier Fernández-Sanguino Peña <jfs@computer.org>, [2006-08-15 19:41 +0200]:
>  I have written and collected some network testing scripts in a new
>  'ifupdown-extra' package which is right now available in
>  http://people.debian.org/~jfs/ifupdown-extra
>
>  This package provides additional scripts for ifupdown to test for some common
>  problems when setting up interfaces:
>
>  - interfaces without a link  (admin can have that condition abort interface
>    setup if he wants the behaviour described in #120382)

Very nice.
The test could be added to ping-places.sh (provided by ifupdown as an
example), otherwise mapping stanzas using it to choose a logical
interface will try to ping addresses using an interface which may be
down.

What about putting the code which checks the link status in a separate
script, so that it can be used elsewhere?

>   This package also provides 'network-test', a script to test the network
>   configuration status by checking:
>     - Interface status

This feature is not working properly here.

On line 229 you do a "echo $status | grep UP\>". When status contains
something like "1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,10000> mtu 16436 qdisc noqueue" it
fails.
I guess you may just grep for "UP".

Thanks for the package!
ciao,