Re: Why does doc packages need to contain gzipped files?

Preben Randhol writes:
>On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 17:59:39 +0200
>Sam Hocevar <sam@zoy.org> wrote:

>> > I don't find this a good argument as it is equally a one line script
>> > to bzip2 all pdfs in /usr/share/doc in small computers.
>>
>>    A one-liner that can take hours, whereas gunzipping is quite cheap.
>
>Please, how likely is it that a developer has a limited computer with
>limited disc space and a lot of -doc packages? Maybe we need a poll
>asking if the normal developer has a limited disc space or not? Anyway
>if a computer *does* have limited hard disc space then it most likely
>have limite CPU (like my old 166 MHz that collects dust in the corner).
>This means that it will be a bigger annoyance to have to wait for zxpdf
>or whatever to open the pdf every day.

Yet I've got several machines with limited disk space where I really
*do* care if things are compressed. After all, disk space is *always*
used up when it's in use and CPU is only used on the odd occasion when
you actually decompress the files in question. The laptop where I'm
typing this right now is my main Debian devel machine these days, as
well as the machine I carry around with music etc. on it. The less I
use up space on the -doc packages I have installed, the more
music/data files I have space for on the disk...

"...In the UNIX world, people tend to interpret `non-technical user'
 as meaning someone who's only ever written one device driver." -- Daniel Pead