Re: Why does doc packages need to contain gzipped files?

On Sat, Jun 24, 2006 at 01:52:58PM +0200, Domenico Andreoli wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 24, 2006 at 11:45:00AM +0200, Preben Randhol wrote:
> > I have to my annoyance noticed that several of the doc packages
> > (especially development packages) contains files that are gzipped. That
> > is either example source files or pdfs etc...
> >
> > My point is that if I choose to install a doc packages I intend to use
> > it frequently and would therefore like that it is user friendly rather
> > than that one has squeezed some few kilobytes out by gzipping files. If
> > I don't need the package anymore I can uninstall it to save the space.
> >
> > When it comes to Changelog or other files that are included in all
> > packages (not only doc packages) it is fine that they are gzipped. I'm
> > only talking about the pure doc packages.
>
> i completely agree with you. i find very annoying to have to gunzip
> stuff from docs. disk space i cheap.

I think the more important thing to realize is that the reason we have
-doc packages is because the documentation for a given program takes up
a fair amount of space. If a user installs a -doc package, they know
they are getting extra stuff that takes up more space, so they should
really get the docs in the most convenient form, not in the most
compressed form.

--
gram