Re: Why does doc packages need to contain gzipped files?

On Sat, 24 Jun 2006 05:52:26 +0900
Osamu Aoki <osamu@debian.org> wrote:

> But, we have fast CPUs so it is not too bad.  Under gnome, fileroller
> will open it for you from filer.

But I don't want to unzip a pdf to my home directory. This wasts space.
Last pdf I saw gzipped was only 6% smaller. If I have to gunzip it to
my local home directory I actually use 194 % more space than I needed
if the pdf wasn't gzipped.

If the system has 10 people and everybody does this then please tell my
why gzipping the file saves space?!?

> So it is non-issue for modern machine.  We live with current rule.

No it is not. Because I (for one) want user friendliness. Why should I
waste my time gunzipping X files to get the info I need to do my job?
We talk about Linux being more efficient than say Windows, but if we
constantly have to jump over hurdles like this, everything slows
down....

> Real issue is saving space for compact systems.  There we will have
> support in dpkg which can be told to drop installing
> in /usr/share/doc/* or something like it.

If it is a compact system, then why on earth would you install doc
packages? It doesn't make sense.

If one really really need to gzip, then make all applications in the
default Debian system able to handle gzipped files so there is no need
to unzip them to your local area and in fact use more space than
needed.

Best wishes

Preben