Re: Why does doc packages need to contain gzipped files?

HI,

On Sat, Jun 24, 2006 at 11:45:00AM +0200, Preben Randhol wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have to my annoyance noticed that several of the doc packages
> (especially development packages) contains files that are gzipped. That
> is either example source files or pdfs etc...

I understand your point and feeling.  That is because of Debian policy
and smart program called debhelper scripts helping packager to follow
this policy.

> My point is that if I choose to install a doc packages I intend to use
> it frequently and would therefore like that it is user friendly rather
> than that one has squeezed some few kilobytes out by gzipping files. If
> I don't need the package anymore I can uninstall it to save the space.

Yes.

> When it comes to Changelog or other files that are included in all
> packages (not only doc packages) it is fine that they are gzipped. I'm
> only talking about the pure doc packages.

Actually, the saving we get may be small here too.  These days,
harddisk is huge anyway.  Waisting cpu time for gunzipping may be more
waiste than harddisk space.

But, we have fast CPUs so it is not too bad.  Under gnome, fileroller
will open it for you from filer.

> Thanks in advance

So it is non-issue for modern machine.  We live with current rule.

Real issue is saving space for compact systems.  There we will have
support in dpkg which can be told to drop installing in /usr/share/doc/*
or something like it.

Osamu

        Osamu Aoki <osamu@debian.org>  Yokohama Japan, GPG-key: A8061F32
 .''`.  Debian Reference: post-installation user's guide for non-developers
 : :' : http://qref.sf.net and http://people.debian.org/~osamu
 `. `'  "Our Priorities are Our Users and Free Software" --- Social Contract