Re: GCC 4.1 now the default GCC version for etch

Henning Makholm <henning@makholm.net> wrote:
> Scripsit Andreas Metzler <ametzler@downhill.at.eu.org>
>> On 2006-06-07 Matthias Klose <doko@cs.tu-berlin.de> wrote:
>>> We did pick two compiler warnings and scanned the build logs of one
>>> archive rebuild on alpha (64bit), where wrong code may be generated.
>>>  - cast from pointer to integer of different size
>>>    cast to pointer from integer of different size

>> i.e. if a package is currently in the archive, suffers from this
>> issues and the binary packages *currently* in the archive have been
>> built with gcc-4.0, should I
>> b) simply continue, as the package won't be broken more with gcc-4.1
>> than it was with gcc-4.0?

> If the code is really nont 64bit-clean (i.e. it tries to store a
> pointer in a 32-bit integer and expects to be able to cast it back and
> still locate the data the original pointer pointed to), I cannot see
> how gcc-4.0 would have been able to create working code either.

I have since talked to upstream, and it seems to be more of a cosmetic
issue, they are storing 32bit integers in pointers. Following glib's
example and depending on the size of void on an arch either casting
p = (void*) (long) 42;
or
p = (void*) 42;
will get rid of the warnings, too.

Thanks for your explanations (also to Goswin), cu andreas
--
The 'Galactic Cleaning' policy undertaken by Emperor Zhark is a personal
vision of the emperor's, and its inclusion in this work does not constitute