Re: about mdadm 2.5-1/experimental

also sprach martin f krafft <madduck@debian.org> [2006.06.01.0240 +0200]:
> I have uploaded mdadm 2.4.1-2 to unstable (should be ready for
> (non-production) use, no *big* changes), and 2.5-1 to experimental
> (*big* changes, works in my case, YMMV).

-3 and -2 are now there, respectively, fixing FTBFS bugs. 2.5-3 is
forthcoming (with a better init.d script[0]), as is a new upstream.

0. http://people.debian.org/~terpstra/message/20060601.165154.22b957f1.en.html

While 2.4.1-3 should be ready for use, I do not really trust 2.5-2
yet, even though it works in my case. I rewrote most of the
initramfs-tools integration, and as I am sure you know, a lot can
break that way.

Thus I will leave 2.5* in experimental for a while, until I heard
from enough people that it works, and there haven't been serious
complaints.

REPEAT: I will not move 2.5 to unstable until sufficient people have
tested it in experimental.

Thus, please test if you can. One reasonably fail-proof way to do so
is to copy the initrd in /boot, and to create an additional stanza
in grub:

  ln -s /boot/vmlinuz-$(uname -r){,.before-mdadm-2.5}
  cp /boot/initrd.img-$(uname -r){,.before-mdadm-2.5}
  update-grub

This will cause grub to default to the known-to-be-working initial
ramdisk on boot. To test the new ramdisk, you select the
appropriate choice. The old ramdisk should work perfectly fine with
2.5 userspace.

Again, please note
http://madduck.net/~madduck/scratch/README.experimental

Thanks for your assistance.

`. `'`

it's as bad as you think, and they are out to get you.