Re: Problems found by piuparts

Gustavo Franco <gustavorfranco@gmail.com> writes:
> On 2/20/06, Lars Wirzenius <liw@iki.fi> wrote:

>> In the past six months, I've filed about 260 bug reports based on what
>> piuparts has found. About 40% of those have been fixed so far. Below is
>> a summary of the common problems, hopefully the list will help everyone
>> to find and especially avoid problems in their own packages.
>>  (...)

> Hi Lars,

> I think some of these problems can be detected by lintian, adding some
> more checks there. It could bring more visibility to so common errors.
> Comments ?

Most of those look semi-difficult to do in lintian because most of them
require fairly deep parsing of maintainer scripts.  lintian can get a long
way by cheating with simple heuristics, but that approach can be somewhat
unreliable and prone to false positives.

Certainly it's possible, and I expect the lintian maintainers would
welcome patches, but I don't think it's that straightforward.