Re: Need for launchpad

On Sunday 08 January 2006 07:27, Andrew Suffield wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 06, 2006 at 03:19:42PM -0500, Frans Jessop wrote:
> > Ubuntu's launchpad is amazing.  Do you think it would be helpful if all
> > DD's worked through it on their projects?  Wouldn't that keep things more
> > organized and efficient?  Or perhaps Debian could build its own version
> > of launchpad which is better.  Again, I think it would do a good job
> > keeping everything organized an efficient.
>
> The day when working on Debian requires the use of a web interface
> will be the day that I hunt down and painfully kill the person
> responsible for doing it.

Luckily that the bts of Launchpad has a mailinterface..which is quite nice.
So some other parts will have mailinterfaces as well, and some other goodies
where someone can attach some nice cli tools.

> Removing the ability to manage things from the shell would not be more
> organised and efficient unless you're a complete fricking moron who
> can't operate a unix host. Which appears to be the target audience of
> launchpad.

Well, I'm happy to see, that a lot of people are not thinking like you. They
see launchpad as a collaborative worktool.
But why should I tell that to a unix-guru, who can't even read the code of
conduct of the mailinglist of the distribution he is working for. Finally,
are you not able to use lynx?

> We're working with the real stuff here, not kids toys. Web interfaces
> don't scale to the level at which we have to work *all the time*. Just
> ask the BTS admins what happens when somebody scans
> http://bugs.debian.org/ to collect data.

If "real stuff" means commandline, then you should open your eyes and you
should wake up asap. The world has changed. No one said, you have to use
something you don't want. If someones wants a webtool, he should use it. If
someone wants to have a gui tool, she should use it, if someone is working on
the console and wants to use only cli, he/she should use it.

But give them a choice, because linux/unix is choice.

> Oh, and hey - when SuSE are doing better than you at publishing the
> tools they use, it's a hint that maybe you suck.

Uh, I see, no lynx on the console...here is what is written at
http://www.debian.org/MailingLists/index.en-gb.html#codeofconduct, at least
you should read it.

Quote of the last 2 points are important:

- Do not use foul language; besides, some people receive the lists via packet
radio, where swearing is illegal.
- Try not to  flame; it is not polite.

Have a nice sunday,

\sh