question towards "freetype transition; improved library handling needed for all C/C++ packages"

Hello,

today I've tried to address the issue raised by Steve Langasek regarding
"inherited" dependencies [1].
As I am unexperienced with the whole linking and dependency process I
was not able to deduce the consequences of this announcement for my
packaging.
As far as I have understood the email, whatever is added to the linker
on the command line (using -l...) is also added to the package as a
dependency. Is this correct (the depends line of my package is:
        Depends: apt, ${shlibs:Depends}, ${misc:Depends}
)?

I believe my package is affected by the issues stated by Steve,
depending on libraries which I do not directly use. Most of them are
probably pulled in through the QT library I am depending on. My package,
packagesearch, uses qmake as a build tool. The linking command line
contains loads of other libraries including freetype (collected by
qmake).
In this scenario how should I proceed? Steve's hints seem to apply
mostly to library packages, and due to using qmake are not applicable
for me anyways. Should I go with his last hint to use -Wl,--as-needed?

I considered sending this to debian-mentors, but Steve requested to
reply and ask on debian-devel.

Best regards

Benjamin

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2005/11/msg00016.html