Re: New version of kernel-package to create image packages using debconf

On Wed, 2005-11-09 at 21:49 +0900, Junichi Uekawa wrote:
> I've been pondering on using kernel-package to generate
> debug 'vmlinux' images which are used in tools like
> kernel crash dump analysis tools and oprofile[1].

I'm totally for a -dbg kernel package with an unstripped kernel for
OProfile, as I use it quite frequently.

I wanted to use OProfile and get kernel stacks on Ubuntu Breezy, so
ended up recompiling the standard kernel for vmlinux.  To be useful I
needed to turn on DEBUG_INFO and DEBUG_FRAME_POINTERS, and this gave me
a 25M vmlinux.  I'd expect DEBUG_INFO could be always on as the symbols
would be stripped for the production kernel, but I don't think "normal"
kernels should have frame pointers.

If this is correct, then maybe the debug kernel should be just another
build with the debug options on, and no stripping.

Ross
--
Ross Burton                                 mail: ross@burtonini.com
                                          jabber: ross@burtonini.com