Re: Determining a .deb's intended Debian Version

Em Qua, 2005-11-09 às 13:12 -0800, Christopher Crammond escreveu:
> I was wondering if someone could provide me with some additional
> information related to Debian packaging.  Specifically, I would like to
> know if there is a way to determine which version of Debian that a
> package belongs to?

Optionally, you can see where the dependencies for that package can be
satisfied. In general, libc6 dependancy will be sufficient.

> Pre-Depends: dselect, libc6 (>= 2.3.2.ds1-21)

on http://packages.debian.org/libc6 you'll see

stable (base): GNU C Library: Shared libraries and Timezone data
2.3.2.ds1-22: amd64 arm hppa i386 m68k mips mipsel powerpc s390 sparc

so, it's for stable.

But if it's not a package provided by debian, you probably want to
rebuild the package, unless you're sure the package was built for that
distribution.

For example, I was trying to use phonegaim (debian sources available in
linspire site). But then it needs the gizmo-project package (not
depends, but recommended) which is available only as a binary package
from the gizmo-project site.

Apparently, the package is for stable, but it's uninstallable in stable
because of other libraries which are in a older version in stable than
that used to compile the package. Unfortunally, as I couldn't get the
source for this gizmo thing, I gave up using phonegaim. But anyway,
having the sources, there is a good chance to get it working inside your
stable box. And working good.

daniel