Re: New version of kernel-package to create image packages using debconf

On Mon, Nov 07, 2005 at 09:35:38PM -0600, Manoj Srivastava wrote:

>         A new version of kernel-package is imminent, it is undergoing
>  boot camp out in experimental. For the impatient, this release brings
>  the log awaited debconf usage for kernel image packages -- and the
>  raison d'etre of this mail. Below are the new features of the
>  upcoming kernel-package -- but first, since the kernel image package
>  asks questions in the preinst, and uses debconf now, is it OK for
>  kernel image packages to pre-depend on debconf? Or should I resurrect
>  the old preinst code and laternately ask questions manually?

Well, of course the concern with pre-depends is that careless
pre-dependencies can lead to unbreakable loops.  Although it's the custom
for userspace packages to not depend (or pre-depend) on kernel image
packages directly, in order to allow users to roll their own unpackaged
kernels, there are certainly occasions when userspace software has a de
facto pre-dependency on a particular kernel version.  So we'll have to be
careful not to let the kernel images (indirectly) pre-depend on anything
that would leave us without an upgrade path from sarge, but I don't think
pre-depends vs. depends even matter here given that you can't reboot to a
Debian kernel image before the package has been successfully configured.

Anyway, the dependency tree for debconf looks something like this in sarge
(Essential packages trimmed):

debconf
|_ debconf-i18n
   |_ liblocale-gettext-perl
   |  |_ perlapi-5.8.0
   |_ libtext-iconv-perl
   |  |_ perlapi-5.8.3
   |_ libtext-wrapi18n-perl
   |_ libtext-charwidth-perl

There are more packages involved if we consider the various debconf
frontends, but the above is sufficient, on the debconf side, to let a
kernel-image package install whether it depends or pre-depends on debconf.
So I would say that such a pre-dependency is safe, unless anyone else sees
a problem?