Re: New version of kernel-package to create image packages using debconf

On Tue, 8 Nov 2005 07:43:14 +0100, Christian Perrier <bubulle@debian.org> said:

> Quoting Manoj Srivastava (srivasta@debian.org):
>> Hi,
>>
>> A new version of kernel-package is imminent, it is undergoing boot
>> camp out in experimental. For the impatient, this release brings
>> the log awaited debconf usage for kernel image packages -- and the
>> raison d'etre of this mail. Below are the new features of the
>> upcoming kernel-package -- but first, since the kernel image
>> package asks questions in the preinst, and uses debconf now, is it
>> OK for kernel image packages to pre-depend on debconf? Or should I
>> resurrect the old preinst code and laternately ask questions
>> manually?

> As I understand, I should now yell out "Hurray", learning that we
> probably will soon be able to be prompted in something else than the
> English language...AND be able to not be interrupted by the famous
> linux-image/kernel-image packages question.

> Do you plan to first post a call for translations in -i18n so that
> when you release the new kernel-package packages, they already have
> some translations handy?

        Umm, no -- I figure that translations shall come soon enough,
 and Etch is not going to be released for an year or more now, so we
 have time to polish things up.  I don't think kernel-package is
 anywhere close to a final release.

> Of course, I'm here assuming that the package is properly i18n'ed as
> I'm sure it is..:-)

        Well, we use po-debconf and all.

> I'll probably add kernel-package to the current quite short list of
> "level 5" translations proposed to D-I translators, which mostly
> lists packages which are considered very important to translate
> (completely empirically).

        Thanks

        manoj
--
"They're unfriendly, which is fortunate, really.  They'd be difficult
to like." Avon