Re: Bits from the release team: the plans for etch

Florian Weimer <fw@deneb.enyo.de> wrote:

> * Bernhard R. Link:
>
>> * Florian Weimer <fw@deneb.enyo.de> [051025 13:51]:
>>> * Steve Langasek:

>>> Just to clarify, is technical documentation that is only available in
>>> non-editable formats (e.g. Postscript files)
>>
>> Little nitpick and petition: Please write "generated Postscript files"
>> in such examples, as postscript files can be perfectly editable and
>> only the existance of easier languages causes the vast majority of
>> postscript files being generated non-editable forms. (As is assembler
>> files currently, or as C source code would be if almost everyone switched
>> to some other language with a compiler generating C code as intermediate
>> format.)
>
> On systems without digital restrictions managemet without mandatory
> enforcement [1], it goes without saying that you can change bytes as
> you like, but it is hardly the preferred way of implementing
> modifications.
>
> Is it really controversial that these problems are bugs?  I assumed
> that only the RC status could be subject to debate.

It is for sure not a bug to contain a PostScript file where PostScript
is the preferred form of modification.  If you have tetex-base
installed, /usr/share/texmf/dvips/misc/resolution400.ps is a short
example, /usr/share/texmf/dvips/misc/crops.pro is a bit longer.

There are people in this world who can read and program PostScript.

Regards, Frank
--
Frank Küster
Inst. f. Biochemie der Univ. Zürich