Re: better init.d/* : who carres ?

On Fri, Aug 26, 2005 at 10:19:06PM +0200, Adrian von Bidder wrote:
> On Wednesday 24 August 2005 17.15, Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:
> > Make sure you use only POSIX features when doing this. I think
> > "grep -o" is a GNU extension, FreeBSD doesn't have it for example.
>
> Doesn't the 'only POSIX' apply to the shell code only?  At least, shouldn't
> it be judged on a per-tool basis?  While awk is (was?) usually mawk on
> Debian, and not gawk, I don't think anybody uses a BSD grep on their Debian
> system.  Please don't standardise on a minimal future set only for the
> corner case that somebody cripples his system beyond every reassonable
> limit.
>
> The 'POSIX shell' rule is here for a reason:  there are people with /bin/sh
> being not bash.  For other tools, this rule can be relaxed, imho.

Well, it's helpful when you might want to replace grep etc with
its busybox counterparts; for instance, busybox grep doesn't support
-o.

Regards: David Weinehall
--
 /) David Weinehall <tao@debian.org> /) Rime on my window           (\
//  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~   //  Diamond-white roses of fire //