Re: making developer location from ldap public?

On Thu, Aug 25, 2005 at 12:17:28PM -0300, Ben Armstrong wrote:
> You're still describing the "what" and not the "why".  In your original
> proposal you talked about "fellow Debian developers" needing access for
> keysignings, drinks, etc.  Well, fellow DDs can already do this.  But
> why does the public need access?  Except for the very special case of a
> new maintainer applicant (for whom the keysigning procedure posted at
> nm.debian.org[0] is supposed to work -- and so far as I know, it does,)
> noone other than a DD ever needs to see this info.  Or if there is some
> other legitimate need, please build your case for it.

there are two reasaons:
- while debian developers might have access to it, it's in a form that
  makes it hard to access it, so i doubt that anyone will look up who
  is living at some place when he gets there. making this more
  accessible is way easier if the one accessing the info doesn't need to
  autheticate himself as a developer
- it's not only about keysigning, but mainly about getting to know more
  people, preferably from different places. this is very interesting for
  everyone, developers, new maintainers and also the many people who
  contribute to debian who are not even in the new maintainer queue...

> I would *not* be happy with removal of my lat/long data from
> db.debian.org.  I live in a less-populated part of the world, and I
> enjoy seeing my part of the world represented on the publicly-viewable
> world map of anonymized developer locations[1].  But if your proposal
> were implemented the way you described it, I'd have to choose between
> having my dot on the map (which is acceptable and not a violation of my
> privacy because the developer names aren't included) and having my
> privacy.  So even if there is a case to be made for making this info
> public some of the time, your implementation is flawed.

i see your point. i actually didn't expect many people to have a problem
with disclosing where they live, but i might have been mistaken...

cu  robert

--
Robert Lemmen                               http://www.semistable.com