Re: making developer location from ldap public?

On Thu, 2005-08-25 at 16:01 +0200, Robert Lemmen wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 25, 2005 at 02:50:51PM +0100, Oliver Elphick wrote:
> > You haven't explained why letting other DDs know this information, which
> > is available to them already, requires the whole world to know it.
> >
> > If you have some proposals for letting non-DDs have the data, you need
> > to explain what they are.
>
> well, of course i was talking about letting non-dd get to the data! it
> would be a public service. and the data in question would be your name
> and email along with your latitude and longitude if you entered it in
> the ldap database

You're still describing the "what" and not the "why".  In your original
proposal you talked about "fellow Debian developers" needing access for
keysignings, drinks, etc.  Well, fellow DDs can already do this.  But
why does the public need access?  Except for the very special case of a
new maintainer applicant (for whom the keysigning procedure posted at
nm.debian.org[0] is supposed to work -- and so far as I know, it does,)
noone other than a DD ever needs to see this info.  Or if there is some
other legitimate need, please build your case for it.

I would *not* be happy with removal of my lat/long data from
db.debian.org.  I live in a less-populated part of the world, and I
enjoy seeing my part of the world represented on the publicly-viewable
world map of anonymized developer locations[1].  But if your proposal
were implemented the way you described it, I'd have to choose between
having my dot on the map (which is acceptable and not a violation of my
privacy because the developer names aren't included) and having my
privacy.  So even if there is a case to be made for making this info
public some of the time, your implementation is flawed.

Ben
[0] http://nm.debian.org/gpg.php
[1] http://www.debian.org/devel/developers.loc