Re: Ongoing Firefox (and Thunderbird) Trademark problems

[Steve Langasek]
> DFSG#8 has regularly been interpreted as meaning that if a software
> license isn't free, it can't be made free just by giving Debian
> additional rights.  This keeps us honest, by eliminating any
> incentive proprietary software authors might have to create a market
> for themselves by making a deal with Debian.

That's all very well, and I agree with that interpretation - if one is
to follow the letter of the law.

But philosophically, if we think that rebranding Firefox is so great
and terrible and will cause such problems, why would we want to foist
this upon our downstream users?  Or perhaps the contrapositive says it
better: if we don't think our users will mind having to rebrand Firefox
before distributing modified versions, if that's no big deal for them,
why not demonstrate how easy and painless it is by doing the same
within Debian?  If we're willing to tell the customer to rebrand their
modified software, shouldn't we be willing to do the same?

That there is such a hue and cry over rebranding Firefox in Debian
indicates to me that it *is* a significant burden we would be (and are
now) asking of our downstream users.