Re: Bits from the dpkg maintainer

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 08:30:07 +0100, Scott James Remnant <scott@netsplit.com> said:

> That's sadly totally untrue.  Either you mean "use all the source in
> the archive with the DPKG-DEV available in stable" -- or it was
> utterly violated by all the packages in the sarge period that used
> (e.g.)  debhelper features available in woody.

> It's no harder to backport dpkg-dev than it is debhelper; so I think
> it really just comes down to what formats the FTP masters (and dear
> katie) are prepared to accept.

        Umm.  While true, I consider this unfortunate (part of my rant
 on helper packages in general), and I would prefer we did not make
 selective single package backporting an exercise in recompiling large
 chunks of the release. I understand that there are times when one
 needs to backport other packages (which is why they are called
 dependencies, yes) as well, but we should try an minimize coupling.

        It would be nice is we tried to actively make the situation
 better, rather than pointing to current obstacles and using them as
 justification for making matter worse. Tight coupling in modular
 systems is not something to be encouraged.

        manoj
--
"In matrimony, to hesitate is sometimes to be saved." Butler