Re: Bits from the dpkg maintainer

[I am not subscribed to debian-devel, please Cc: me if you feel your
 reply deserves my attention.]

On Mon, 2005-06-13 at 10:10 +0200, Peter Palfrader wrote:

> On Sun, 12 Jun 2005, Wesley J. Landaker wrote:
>
> > > The basics of the new format are:
> > >     * Multiple upstream tarballs are supported:
> > >     * The "Debian Diff" may be replaced by the "Debian Tar":
> > >     * Bzip2 compression is supported as an alternative to gzip.
> >
> > As a practical matter, how soon will these really be supported in Debian? Is
> > dpkg change all that is needed? i.e. Could I upload a new revision of a
> > package that has multiple upstream tarballs, and a debian.tar.bz2 right
> > now, or are there a lot of other things that have to change first?
>
> Historically we always wanted to be able to use all the source in the
> archive with the tools available in stable.  If that policy is still
> true you would be able to use the new features by the time edge releases
> with the new dpkg.  That is in some 10 to 18 months :)

That's sadly totally untrue.  Either you mean "use all the source in the
archive with the DPKG-DEV available in stable" -- or it was utterly
violated by all the packages in the sarge period that used (e.g.)
debhelper features available in woody.

It's no harder to backport dpkg-dev than it is debhelper; so I think it
really just comes down to what formats the FTP masters (and dear katie)
are prepared to accept.

Scott
--
Have you ever, ever felt like this?