Re: And now for something completely different... etch!

On Tue, Jun 07, 2005 at 04:19:19PM +0200, Remi Vanicat wrote:
> Andrew Suffield <asuffield@debian.org> writes:

> >> Why?  What if I prefer to have something from inetd only when necessary
> >> instead of constantly running daemons everywhere?
> >
> > Why on earth would you? It's just more administrative overhead, and
> > yet another package you didn't need.
>
> Because I've something else to do with my RAM than to run yet another
> daemon that will be used at most every other month.

Disk space, not RAM. You lose *real* RAM by running inetd, and this is
premature optimisation anyway. Have you actually measured how much
physical memory the stuff you run consumes running as both inetd and
proper daemons, and determined that the difference would result in a
noticable improvement? Hint: it's a very small and sometimes slightly
negative amount.

My bet is that you just read in a book somewhere that inetd uses less
memory, and forgot to check the date on the book. inetd is a throwback
to the 1980s.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |