Re: Is Ubuntu a debian derivative or is it a fork?

On Sat, 4 Jun 2005, Daniel Holbach wrote:

But the atmosphere in the thread is tense and full of misunderstandings.
You are right here and I love if we could solve this.

With every mail it becomes clearer that we're all miles away from
actually making plans and discussing concrete specifications of what's
to happen.
I'll try to come back to this.

So can we try to get back to the topic? What are we precisely discussing
at the moment?
I'll try the answers of my point of view. which is:

  The most effective way to derive a distribution with low effort is
  to keep the diff small.

     * The handling of NEW packages and in which cases to file an ITP.
File an ITP / RFP for any package you want to see in *your* distribution.
(this would probably lead to group maintainance or at least sponsoring which
 is in principle also a group maintainance, because at least four eyes are
 looking in the case the Ubuntu maintainer is no Debian developer)

     * How to retrieve patches in the easiest way.
In Debian we have a defined way to provide patches: The BTS.

     * How to start group maintenance.
Easy: The maintainers should just start talking about their packages in
private or "blog" common problems in BTS.

Again: This is *my* point of view for most effective work.  It seems to work
in several cases wuite fine.  In some case it is an oversimplification of
the problem but a discussion in a common list would help drastically.

If somebody thinks the way I described is not optimal it is fine for me
and I have no trouble with it.  If we can not accomplis the things I
described above for the majority of packages I would consider Ubuntu
mor as a fork than a derivative.  This is absolutely not problem for
me, but it would be less effective than it could be - but I might be
wrong.

Maybe there are other issues, I missed in the thread.

Can you believe it? Just those three bullet points?
I think you reduced the thread to the basic points, yes.

I was at the Ubuntu Conference in Sydney and one thing I loved
completely, was the way how we discussed specifications and how we
tackled problems.
So you had just statements to the bullets above? Which are these?

Shouldn't it be possible to think of solutions in the same way? I can
feel that we all can take incredible benefit out of this, so let's go!
Let's make it happen! :)
Thanks for the clear words

         Andreas.

--