Re: RFC on mysql 4.1 in sarge

Hi Sean,

On Wed, May 18, 2005 at 11:23:35AM -0400, sean finney wrote:
> the following upgrade paths work:

> mysql-server/woody -> mysql-server/sarge
> mysql-server/woody -> mysql-server/sarge -> mysql-server-4.1/sarge

> but this does not:

> mysql-server/woody -> mysql-server-4.1/sarge

> so at this point, we're not sure what to do to cover this last problem,
> as we have no guarantee the preinst of mysql-server-4.1 will even run
> before mysql-server/woody is removed.  the only fix we can think of is
> to remove the two directories from the files.list of the woody package.

> so we've come up with three options, none of which are great:

> 1 the most recenty woody security update caused problems for some
>   people, and there's a package already waiting to go in to fix this
>   problem.  we could put a fix into the woody mysql-server package into
>   this package before the security team handles it.
> 2 if there's going to be a final woody point release, we could put a
>   fixed version in there
> 3 give up on trying to fix it, assume that symlinks might get lost, and
>   put something in a README file telling users what they have to do
>   in order to fix up their database after restoring the symlinks.

> i don't see 1 happening, i don't know if the prerequisite (woody release
> update) for 2 is going to happen, and 3 doesn't make me all too happy
> as a "solution".

> so, questions, comments, suggestions all welcome,

I see the same three options.  Joey has said he is working on a final woody
point release for the last weekend in May; you'll probably need to
coordinate with him and get something uploaded soon if you want to try for
this option.

3 does not sound so bad to me; it's arguably user error anyway to replace a
package-provided directory with a symlink in this manner, so having a corner
case of "partially upgraded woody system and installing mysql-server-4.1 and
messed with a package directory" is not the end of the world...

Cheers,
--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer