Re: Status of PHP5?

On Monday 25 of April 2005 16:05, Martin Geisler wrote:
> Also, what went wrong with the packages that were uploaded[1] in
> February?
>
> [1]: http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=262977#msg37

About a half year ago I've asked the maintainer who filled ITP, what was the
progress of developing his packages. He told me he want to see php5 packages
after sarge release. It is some kind of joke. We have experimental area, at
least.

This situation is very unclear as far as there is no active project on alioth
for php5 packages other that my pear-package.alioth.debian.org. There is no
any sign of active development. The people want the PHP5 packages just now
but somebody still blocks my job.

The last mail from ftpmaster:

<cite>
This upload supposedly happened without informing the team of people that
currently maintain PHP, in close cooperation with the apache folks by the way.
An alioth project for PHP was already made (pkg-php), and you were invited to
join.

Anyway, this is just a covert package hijack, if you have a problem with a
maintainer, please contact QA and/or MIA. Rejected.
</cite>

The facts are:

1. The ftpmaster was a member of pkg-php project, he boycotts my work and
don't offer something else.
2. I didn't know about pkg-php project. BTW, the pkg-php project is really
dead now or has very hidden activity. The http://php.debian.net/ and
http://alioth.debian.org/projects/pkg-php are empty pages. There is no public
available mailing list or repository.
3. There are no official PHP5 packages in Debian after 6 months and it makes
much of problems with other packages. See `apt-cache rdepends php5'. Some of
maintainers denied the request for adding php5 to dependencies. Some of them
added.
4. I haven't enough time for empty talking. I'm just developer and I want to
see high quality packages in the distribution. If you've got better ones that
I could offer, please release them. If not, please explain, why some private
ambitions makes the life more harder for some maintainers and users.

Seems like there are power-maintainers and SCC-maintainers...

--
 .''`.    Piotr Roszatycki, Netia SA
: :' :    mailto:Piotr_Roszatycki@netia.net.pl