Re: All GPL'ed programs have to go to non-free

On Thu, Apr 14, 2005 at 10:31:47PM -0400, Glenn Maynard wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 14, 2005 at 08:08:18PM -0400, sean finney wrote:
> > On Thu, Apr 14, 2005 at 11:47:26PM +0200, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> > > Therefore, all GPL'd programs will have to go to non-free.
> >
> > there's nothing that prevents us from re-distributing modified copies
> > of the GPL, we just can't do so and claim that they are the GPL.  even
> > if you did want to nitpick that (why?), such a restriction is acceptable
> > according to the DFSG.  for example, many authors choose to license
> > their software under a 'modified GPL' or 'GPL-with-some-exceptions'.
>
> Er, no.  The GPL can only be modified if the preamble is removed, which
> means the preamble is an invariant section.  The *only* reason the
> text of the GPL is allowed in main is because including license texts
> is a fundamental, unavoidable requirement of distributing software at
> all, unless one limits oneself to public domain works.

I'd also say that for a user, access to documentation is an unavoidable
requirement for using the software (e.g. for most non-trivial uses it
will be a pain to work with a gcc without any documentation of the
available options - and even Debian developers will have to use the
GFDL'ed documentation as part of their Debian work).

That doesn't stop Debian from removing the documentation.

> Adrian, you're deliberately wasting the project's time with a very old,
> eternity-since-debunked "argument".  That's known as "trolling".  Unless
> you have something of value to say, go away.

If you call me a "troll", please tell me where this is documented.

I have done:
- read the last two months of debian-devel
- read the draft "FAQ on documentation licensing" currently discussed
  on debian-legal

I assume it's not expected to read the complete 10 years of debian-devel
before being allowed to send an email to debian-devel.

If you can point me to some document I should have found that explains
Debians position on this issue I do hereby apologize in advance for
wasting bandwith with this thread.

If there isn't one, I await your apologize for calling me a troll.

> Glenn Maynard

cu
Adrian

       "Only a promise," Lao Er said.