Re: All GPL'ed programs have to go to non-free

On Thu, Apr 14, 2005 at 08:08:18PM -0400, sean finney wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 14, 2005 at 11:47:26PM +0200, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> > Therefore, all GPL'd programs will have to go to non-free.
>
> there's nothing that prevents us from re-distributing modified copies
> of the GPL, we just can't do so and claim that they are the GPL.  even
> if you did want to nitpick that (why?), such a restriction is acceptable
> according to the DFSG.  for example, many authors choose to license
> their software under a 'modified GPL' or 'GPL-with-some-exceptions'.

Er, no.  The GPL can only be modified if the preamble is removed, which
means the preamble is an invariant section.  The *only* reason the
text of the GPL is allowed in main is because including license texts
is a fundamental, unavoidable requirement of distributing software at
all, unless one limits oneself to public domain works.

Adrian, you're deliberately wasting the project's time with a very old,
eternity-since-debunked "argument".  That's known as "trolling".  Unless
you have something of value to say, go away.

--
Glenn Maynard