please make ARM buildd more efficient, was Re: arm seems OK: release status?

Paul TBBle Hampson wrote:
On Mon, Apr 11, 2005 at 02:31:15PM +0200, A Mennucc wrote:

when a buildd builds a package, it first install all
build-dependencies, then compiles, then remove all build-dependencies.
For my package, that was a total of 113 MB of data to be moved in and
out of disks; since ARM is running late, maybe it would be wise to not
remove build-dependencies at the end of a run, (and check for any
build conflict before starting, and just remove that)

Funny. I was under the impression that the buildds _did_ leave these
packages installed, and that was one of the things that pbuilder could
test that the buildds don't, that build-depends are complete and
sufficient.

when a buildd is running ahead, it may as well waste time in installing
and deinstalling; but when it is not, it should avoid that task

I'm sure it's been suggested that the buildds remove the extra packages
after each run, but that is considered too inefficient, and the buildds
are not _expected_ to pick up all build-depends bugs.

ARM builder is inefficient:

http://buildd.debian.org/fetch.php?&pkg=xmorph&ver=1%3A20050408&arch=arm&stamp=1113139251&file=log&as=raw

I am sending this e-mail to Ryan Murray (who is at the end of the above log), so to make him aware of this issue

a.