Re: How to define a release architecture

> * the release architecture must be publicly available to buy new
>
> Avoids a situation where Debian is keeping an architecture alive. This
> isn't intended to result in an architecture being dropped part way
> through a release cycle or once it becomes hard to obtain new hardware.

What problem does this rule solve ?

> * the release architecture must have N+1 buildds where N is the number
>   required to keep up with the volume of uploaded packages
>
> This is to ensure that all unstable packages are built in a timely
> manner, and that there is adequate redundancy to prevent a single buildd
> failure from delaying packages.
>
> * the value of N above must not be > 2
>
> This effectively sets an upper limit on the length of time a single
> package may take to build, which helps ensure that doing things like
> security fixes for Openoffice doesn't become a problem.

A far more acceptable alternative would be to not have openoffice on those
archs.

> * the release architecture must have successfully compiled 98% of the
>   archive's source (excluding architecture-specific packages)
>
> A fairly arbitrary figure, but intended to prevent situations where
> packages are held back from testing by an architecture not being able to
> build them.

In which case those packages can simply be not available for the
architecture in question.

> * the release architecture must have a working, tested installer
>
> It's not acceptable to release without a working installer, for fairly
> obvious reasons.
>
> * the Security Team must be willing to provide long-term support for
>   the architecture
>
> All releases require security updates, again for obvious reasons.

This requirement can be satisfied by stating that some one must be
willing to support the security team.

> * the Debian System Administrators (DSA) must be willing to support
>   debian.org machine(s) of that architecture
>
> This is in order to ensure that developer-accessible machines exist.

This requirement can be satisfied by stating that some one must be
willing to support debian.org machine(s) of that architecture.

> * the Release Team can veto the architecture's inclusion if they have
>   overwhelming concerns regarding the architecture's impact on the
>   release quality or the release cycle length
>
> A get out clause - it must be possible for something to be refused if it
> would break the release, even if it meets all the other criteria.

This is unacceptable. It would for example allow archs to be refused
because their names starts with an 'A'.

> * there must be a developer-accessible debian.org machine for the
>   architecture.
>
> Developers must be able to test their code on a machine running that
> architecture.
>

> The Vancouver proposals satisfy all of these, potentially at the cost of
> removing some architectures from the set released by Debian. If we want
> to avoid that cost, can we come up with another proposal that solves the
> same problems in a way that satisfies the release team?

Yes. See above. Most problems can be solved by other means then just
throwing out lots of people's work. Some are actually not a problem but
are probably invented to articifially limit the amount of archs.

Cheers,

Peter (p2).