Re: How to pin certain packages from experimental?

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 12:43:52 -0800, Don Armstrong <don@debian.org>
wrote:
>On Sun, 20 Mar 2005, Marc Haber wrote:
>> Is this documented somewhere? Pinning is such a powerful tool, and
>> nobody seems to really understand it.
>
>See apt_preferences(5) [specifically the "APT's Default Priority
>Assignments" section.]

Duh.

I wouldn't have posted here without trying to read manpages first. The
manpage says that apt installs the highest priority version, and if
two or more versions have the same priority, the one with the highest
version number is installed. The thread starter clearly shows that
this is not the case.

|$ apt-cache policy exim4-daemon-light
|exim4-daemon-light:
|  Installed: 4.50-1
|  Candidate: 4.50-1
|  Package Pin: (not found)
|  Version Table:
|     4.50-4 555
|        500 http://debian.debian.zugschlus.de sid/main Packages
| *** 4.50-1 555
|        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
|     4.44-2 555
|        500 http://debian.debian.zugschlus.de sarge/main Packages
|[2/502]mh@lefler:~$

This shows that sid and sarge are at priority 500, and that all
available versions (4.44-2, 4.50-1 and 4.50-4) are pinned to priority
555. So, it should upgrade from the installed 4.50-1 to 4.50-4, which
it doesn't do.

And I see that the pin is somewhat wrong, as the 555 pin should only
apply to packages available from the experimental distribution and not
to sarge and sid.

So, I am sorry to say that I need more explanation than given in the
apt_preferences man page.

Greetings
Marc